Saturday 13 July 2013

Pain?

As I write this it is a lovely day outside my window, but today I woke up with a headache and a pain in my arm.  These are minor ailments, I am in truth very fortunate.  However they make me think?

Why does God allow people, whom God loves to suffer, why does he permit pain?

It is a mystery. The omnipotent, loving God permits pain and suffering?  I can think of no good answer.   I cannot explain it.  I do not understand.

But, I do know how great Christians have dealt with pain in  their lives.

Brother Laurence in common with many of the saints would ask us to accept it.  It is a given.  Thank God for it, and ask for the grace to endure it,  and that it may last no longer than is necessary.  It has a purpose, let that purpose run.

Being a true witness for Christ to non believers sometimes involves reacting to pain and suffering in a true Christian way.  Bearing our own personal pain, with grace and reacting to the pain of others with charity and love.  When you encounter others suffering it is an opportunity to be the Good Samaritan, to be the body of Christ in the world.

When you pray the Lord's prayer and you are encountering suffering, think on the words, 

"....Thy will be done...."