Thursday 15 August 2013

The Assumption?

The doctrine of The Assumption  teaches that at the end of her life, Mary, the mother of Christ, was taken body and soul into heaven. The church celebrates this feast today 15th August.

Personally, I have always found this teaching, this doctrine, hard to swallow. The empiricist in me questions the metaphysical nature of the Assumption.  The theologian in me believes that because the scriptures do not explicitly state that Mary the mother of our divine Lord died and was buried it does not mean she did not die, it just means the writers of scripture did not think that Mary’s post resurrection life was not important, or central to the purposes of the documents they were writing.  In their eyes the inclusion of details about her life was not necessary to spread the Good News.  Is there a record of Joseph’s death, or Mary Magdalene's?

However, I have no problem accepting, the existence of God, the virgin birth and the resurrection.  I have no problem believing that Mary had to be special to be graced as The Mother of our Divine Lord.  I glory in the communion of saints.  I have no issue with asking Mary or any of the saints in glory to intercede for us.  Yes I can petition God directly, but equally I can ask the saints in glory for assistance too.

Why then do I have an issue?  Perhaps I have no good reason, perhaps I have picked up others prejudice growing up in a protestant environment.  Maybe I just do not understand why in 1950 the then pope thought it necessary to make the doctrine of the Assumption a central tenant of the faith. Maybe my issue is that I see with the eyes and perspective of a man, and a little man at that.

God is God and he and his doings are beyond my understanding.  I can only hope to see and understand a little of the Divine, I am small, discrete and limited.  God is infinite.  Regards the Assumption perhaps I need to go on a little faith.

I do know that hundreds of thousands of souls have found their interface with the Divine through Mary and Marian devotions, asking Mary the Mother of God to intercede with Christ on their behalves.  They have received much consolation and comfort and I have no doubt found their way to Christ by this route.



I am arrogant, assuming I know best, that I am the font of knowledge, when the reverse is true, I know a little, a very little.  Perhaps I need to trust God and the leaders of his Church on earth.  I need to grow in humility and so pray:

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.
Amen.