Friday 16 August 2013

Love thy neighbour


When I hear about the dreadful deaths in Egypt and the horrendous war in Syria, I cannot help but feel ever so grateful to live in leafy rural Britain.  I am well fed, warm, dry and at no risk of violence.  I may live in what some might call a post Christian society, but that is just the point.   Christian Society.  People may have lax morals, but the ethos of Love they neighbour is embedded in British society.

Sadly this tolerance and respect does not seem to exist in Egypt.  The behaviour of brother toward brother is awful.  It reminds me of the shameful crusades. God must cry. I do not know where this violence will end, but I pray that Egypt can discover love, forgiveness and the tolerance that comes from New Testament values.   South Africa and Northern Ireland found peace, but we must remember there is no peace without justice.

As individuals we must try to radiate these values to the world.