Saturday 10 August 2013

Sex Drugs and Rock and Roll

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might."
—Deuteronomy 6:4-5
I am plagued with this commandment.  I hear it all the time, it is engraved on my heart,  repeatedly it comes back to me in the day.  With every sin it comes back to me.  Whenever I engage in vain thoughts or actions.  There it is in my head.

Love God with ALL your heart

But I am constantly distracted.
I can see an attractive young woman, be reminded of an old girlfriend, build castles in the sky, dream of winning the lottery, be distracted in work, TV or other entertainment, even when writing the blog.

I fail, I fall.  All I can do is strike my breast, apologise, say sorry and with God’s grace do better.

Unless I can turn my face from sex, drugs and rock and roll and truly Love God with ALL my heart  I will not be a truly effective evangelist.  You and I are called to be just that, to go out to all nations.  We must go out into the world and draw people back to Christ.   To do that we must love, or at least try to love God with all our heart.

Every day, Every hour every moment, not just on Sunday morning when the Minister and community are watching us.

With God’s grace I will put aside my impure and unfaithful thoughts and focus on Christ.

Practising the Examen every day, two or three times a day helps.
About the Examen